Call Centre, Online and Application Bookings
OCL operates a call centre through which all bookings are centralised across all facilities, supported by online web & mobile applications for booking and payment:
Oldham Community Leisure, Lord Street, Oldham, OL1 3HA
Call Centre Number: 0161 2077000
Casual and Membership Activity Categories Cancellation & Refund
- A minimum of 24 hours must be given for cancellation of all pre-booked activities in order to receive a refund for the value of that activity;
- Customers/ Members on the waiting list will be contacted in order of the list. If a person is unavailable no message will be left and the next person on the list will be contacted. The first person to make contact will be offered the place in question;
- Cancellations can be made by phone or in person, and credits for web transactions have to be obtained via call centre or in centre.
Block Bookings Cancellation & Refund
- A minimum of one month’s notification must be given in order to completely cancel a Block Booking. A refund of any additional payments of unused sessions will be made once the cancellation notice has been confirmed by the Centre.
- A minimum of 14 days’ notice must be given to cancel a single session within the Block Booking.
- Exemption to VAT will cease if any session is cancelled by the Club/ Association.
Course Bookings Cancellations and Refunds
- Oldham Community Leisure reserves the right to cancel any course. Courses are run with minimum levels of attendances and are therefore subject to demand. OCL will provide a refund to customers where OCL has cancelled a course or session. If only part of the course is cancelled, the refund will be pro-rota;
- The customer is not entitled to a refund of course fees for any sessions they fail to attend;
- If the person enrolled on the course has suffered ill heath, sickness and/ or injury which has prevented them from taking part on the course, a refund will only be issued on receipt of a valid medical certificate or a doctors/ hospital note.
Birthday Party Bookings Cancellation and Refunds
- Notice for cancellation of a party must be received at least 7 days prior to the date of the party in order to receive a refund which will be 50% of the value of the party;
- No refund will be given where notice given for cancellation of a party is less than 7 days prior to the party date.
Pool Admissions Policy
The safety of non-swimmers* and children is the responsibility of the supervising adult who is to be in attendance at all times. The supervising adult must maintain a constant watch over the children and be in close contact with those that are under the age of 8, or are weak or non-swimmers*.
All children under the age of 8 must be accompanied in the water by a parent or responsible adult (aged 18 years and over). An adult cannot be responsible for supervising more than two children under the age of 8.
All non-swimmers* must wear a floatation device unless closely supervised on a one-to-one basis by an adult who can swim*. All non swimmers and those wearing floatation devices are restricted to the designated shallow areas at all times and are not permitted to enter water of a depth greater than 1.35m.
In order that lifeguards can effectively monitor the supervision policy, customers may be asked to demonstrate their swimming ability – we are grateful for your co-operation in helping us to ensure your safety.
*The definition of the ability to swim is defined as the capacity to swim a recognised stroke unaided for a minimum of 50 metres, Jump from the side into water of 1.5 metres or more so that the head fully submerges and tread water for a minimum of 1 minute.
We recognise that our organisational activities, the services we deliver and the facilities within which we operate, have a significant impact upon the environment.
As part of our commitment to the environment, Oldham Community Leisure pledges to comply with all relevant environmental legislation, implement responsible operational management and promote the efficient use of resources, measurement and controls to both reduce energy consumption and prevent pollution.
In meeting our own commitment, OCL aims to implement and develop a six-step environmental management strategy:
Set our policy with commitment from the highest level and embed environmental principles within our strategic objectives and review on an annual basis
Establish an effective environmental management structure, with key responsibilities identified and communicated
Provide procedures which identify how environmental initiatives will be achieved and deliver our legislative responsibility
Monitor progress at improving environmental controls and through external audit and benchmarking through accredited frameworks
Audit & Review
Review the effectiveness of our action plan through regular audits, such as via Green Dragon Award and QUEST to measure continuous improvement
Identify opportunities for improvement, allocate responsibilities that are Specific, Measurable, Achievable, Realistic and Timely
The actions from our Environmental Policy will run concurrently with the individual targets allocated through the normal business planning process and are directly influenced via the Environmental Procedures, standards and implemented practice as governed through the company Quality System.
For more information regarding OCL’s Environmental Charter commitment please contact us at email@example.com
Swimming Lesson Policy
- All OCL Swimming Teachers are fully qualified and have current enhanced CRB disclosure checks or DBS checks before they are allowed to teach.
- Swimming Teachers are only responsible for pupils during their swimming lessons and parents/guardians are responsible at all other times. The swimming lesson begins when the Swimming Teacher accepts charge of the pupil and ends when the lesson finishes.
- Parents/guardians must remain on the premises whilst the pupil is attending their swimming lessons. This is imperative in case of the unlikely event of a medical emergency, building evacuation or other emergency situation. Pupils must be collected promptly at the end of the lesson.
- Parents/guardians must never distract the teacher during a lesson and should direct all communication through the reception staff or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Parents/guardians should not to speak with a teacher during the period that lessons are in progress as it is dangerous and will distract the teacher from the supervision of the pupils in their lesson.
- A coloured swimming hat will be issued when joining the swimming lessons and new hats will be issued when transferring to the next teaching stage. Lost or damaged hats can be replaced by purchasing a new hat from reception.
- If your child has been off due to illness then a doctor’s note should be provided and a reduction may be applicable.
- If your child has been ill specifically with sickness or diarrhoea OCL would ask that you use a ‘common sense’ approach as whether to bring them to their swimming lesson.
Swimming Lesson Programme
- The majority of our ‘learn to swim’ programme classes are held over a 30 minute timeslot (some advanced and adult classes might be 45 minutes or 1 hour) which includes time to take registers.
- Pupil to Teacher ratios are in line with ASA & STA Standards.
Swimming Lesson Dress Code & Hygiene
- All children should wear appropriate fitting costumes/trunks and shorts specifically designed for swimming. Baggy costumes/trunks can hamper learning.
- All children are to wear swimming hats of the correct colour, for hygiene and to assist with children being placed in the correct class on poolside.
- No jewellery should be worn during a swimming lesson. Religious or medical bracelets are allowed but should not distract the swimmer from their lesson.
- The use of goggles is not permitted until pupils are in a blue hat class. Goggles are permitted if they are prescription goggles, please notify Reception or the swimming teacher.
- All swimmers shower before their lesson. Make sure your child uses the toilet before the lesson commences.
- Swimming Teachers continually assess all pupils’ progression throughout the lessons.
- Progression of all pupils will be at the judgment of the swimming teacher in accordance with badge criteria.
- Pupils will be moved up to the next class when they meet the skills criteria required and if there is adequate room in the next stage.
- Upon completion of a Stage, an email will be sent to the parent/guardian explaining that the child is ready to move up to the next Stage.
- Due to the continuous progressive nature of our programme, and the variety of ability levels within each session, we cannot guarantee a specific time slot on progression, as a space within the next stage may not always be immediately available.
- Parents can log onto Home Portal to view their child’s progression which will be updated every few weeks.
Swimming Lesson Payment
- Fees will be paid in advance of the lessons.
- Direct Debit payments are taken on the day of the month that you have chosen. Direct Debit payers also receive free swimming outside of lessons at any of our centres.
- New joiners, taking the Direct Debit option will pay a pro-rata payment for any lessons which take place prior to the first Direct Debit being taken.
- 28 days’ notice in writing is required for the cancellation of the Direct Debit.
- Failure to provide the full notice period to cancel your swimming lessons when on Direct Debit may result in DFC taking recovery action for the outstanding payment. *DFC Terms and Conditions available on request.
- For customers not on Direct Debit, enrolment is available at Reception, which allows pupils to top up at any point, paying for 10 lesson credits at a time. Top up payments can also be made over the phone by calling the Customer Contact Team on 0161 207 7000, or on our Homeportal System (when 3 credits or less remaining).
- Reminders to top-up will be sent if a valid email address is provided, these are sent on a weekly basis when only 3 lesson credits remain. If top-ups are made before the deadline their place in the swimming lessons will be secure.
- If payment for a top-up is not received before the deadline date, the swimmer will automatically be removed and your space will be lost
- It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to ensure that the participant has sufficient credits for future lessons. OCLL will make all reasonable efforts to ensure that sufficient notice is provided when credits are low.
Changing and Moving Lesson
- You may request a change of time, day or Swimming Teacher and we will try to accommodate your request, provided a space is available.
- Swimming ability and speed of progression will vary depending upon the swimmer.
Pool Closure and Cancelled Swimming Lessons
- In the event of a pool closure we will make every attempt to contact our customers as soon as possible.
- In the unusual event of a pool closure or lesson cancellation the remaining lesson credit balance will be carried forward to the following scheduled lesson, for direct debit payers this is already worked out into your monthly payments.
- In the event of a planned pool closure you will not be charged for this at time of booking, or a credit will be provided for a future lesson.
- If a pool closure is likely to affect swimming lessons on the long term, every effort will be made to offer space at another pool within the area.
- Lesson fees are non-refundable where the pupil has either missed lessons or decided to withdraw from the programme altogether.
- Lessons run consecutively, the lesson credits will be utilised as each lesson takes place regardless of pupil attendance (with the exception of pool closure/lesson cancellation).
- In exceptional circumstances Management may exercise discretion on refunds or credit notes but this would only be on production of a medical certificate or documentation from a medical centre, hospital or GP.
- We will use reasonable endeavours to provide the same instructor for each lesson within a course. However, cover instructors may be used without prior notification.
- We reserve the right to appoint a new teacher at any time and may, at times need to provide an alternative teacher for a class or classes due to illness or for any other unforeseen circumstances.
- In the event a teacher is away for a long period of time we will try to keep the same cover teacher for the time period where possible.
- If a teacher is absent, the Pool reserves the right to join classes together if considered appropriate and safe according to our guidelines. We would always try to put a replacement teacher in place immediately however, if this is not manageable we would put the classes together in order to avoid the cancellation. This would be an extremely rare occurrence as additional teachers are usually available to cover any such eventualities.
- We like to encourage communication and welcome issues to be raised with our staff.
- The duty management team will be the people to resolve any poolside issues. Any problems or issues should be conveyed through them.
- Questions regarding the progression of pupils should be directed towards the reception staff that will be able to pass on the message to the relevant member of staff, who will then contact you to discuss the pupil.
- All parents/guardians are encouraged to supply us with e-mail address for quick communication purposes. This is essential if you would like to be reminded of when you need to top-up your lesson credit balance.
- Parents/guardians are not permitted on poolside but must sit in the pool viewing areas. (where pool viewing is on poolside, parents must not interfere with the lessons or distract the swimming teachers).
- We do ask that all spectators remain in the seating area in order to prevent any unnecessary distractions for the teachers and make every effort to ensure that all footwear is clean, wearing shoe covers when provided.
- It is difficult for the teaching staff to gain full attention from their pupils if they are being distracted; progress can be affected if children are not fully able to concentrate.
- No photography or filming is permitted on poolside or in the changing area without the prior approval from the Centre Management.
Behaviour & Conduct
- Parents accept that their child is under the supervision, control and care of the Swimming Teacher, during the lesson period. Should the behaviour of the child be unsatisfactory and the class is being disrupted, the Swimming Teacher has the right to remove the pupil from the class.
- The teacher may employ reasonable measures as are necessary to maintain the smooth delivery of the class. We reserve the right to request that your child should be removed from classes should they persistently disrupt or are seen to be putting themselves or anyone else at risk during the class. If a child is removed under these circumstances and suitable alternatives arrangements cannot be made, no refund will be provided.
Poolside Rules & Discipline
- Swimming hats must be worn during lessons for safety and hygienic reasons.
- All jewellery and plasters must be removed before swimming.
- Suitable swimming costumes and trunks should be worn to aid swimming development.
- Goggles should not be worn until in Advanced Groups, blue hats, as early water skills do not require them.
- All children must go to the toilet and shower before their lesson starts.
- It is not advisable to eat a heavy meal one hour before a swimming lesson.
- Any child who isn’t toilet trained must wear a swim nappy.
- Parents are not allowed within the lesson environment.
- Teachers and Assistant Teacher’s instruction must be followed at all times.
- Children who disrupt lessons will be asked to sit out of the lesson for a two minute period. On the third occasion they will be asked to leave the lesson.
- If your child is a constant disruption to the class a Risk Assessment will be carried out to determine their further development.
- It is the parent/guardian’s responsibility to declare any behaviour, educational and medical conditions the child has.
- Parents must be at the collection point in the changing rooms to collect their child at the end of their lesson.
- OCLL are a forward thinking company, and we encourage all staff to be developed professionally. From time to time we will be running swimming teacher courses, and notices will be put up at the site up to 1 month before the course starts. The regular swimming teachers will be on site, where possible.
- If any issues arise while the course is running please speak to the Team Leader at the time and they will deal with accordingly.
Terms & Conditions – Memberships
- This agreement commences once both parties have signed it or upon acceptance of these when signing up online.
- Your Membership starts on the Membership Start Date.
- You will be entitled to all the rights and privileges exercisable for the Type of Membership chosen.
- You cannot transfer this agreement to anyone else, unless by prior written authorisation from OCL.
Fees & Charges
- When a Joining Fee / Initial Payment / Prepayment is due from you to us, it is payable immediately and is not refundable in any circumstances. This includes membership fees paid in advance.
- The Direct Debit payment amount is due from you to us. You are obligated to make the minimum number of Direct Debit payments stated with the first one being paid on the 1st Direct Debit payment date and then every month thereafter. For the avoidance of doubt, you are obligated to make every Direct Debit payment date regardless of non-attendance, whatever the reason for non-attendance may be. Should you fail to make a Direct Debit payment then the full balance of the remaining installments will become due immediately.
- You agree to advise us immediately of any change to the member’s / members’ details provided.
- If you fail to pay any amount due under this agreement for a period of more than 30 days, then we may pass the debt to a third party company for collection. Any costs associated with tracing you should you change address, or be unresponsive to our reasonable attempts to contact you, may also be incurred.
- We may change the amount of your monthly subscriptions. If we do we will write to you (or email) in advance at the address(es) you have given us. For this reason, it is vital that you update us if either your postal or email address changes from that shown on this form.
- The member identified on this form is responsible for all payments and ownership of the membership regardless of any third party payments. No payments should be made by third parties without prior authorisation and signature where applicable.
Freezing or Suspension of Membership
- Membership may under specific circumstances be frozen or suspended for a period of up to 3 months subject to prior receipt of the request in writing and approval by Oldham Community Leisure Ltd. Approval is only granted for specific reasons and evidence to support the request may be required. Depending on circumstances there may be a £5 charge (per month) will be made for this service. Terms and conditions relating to this facility are available on request or can be viewed on our website.
- After completing the Minimum Number of Direct Debit Payments, we will automatically continue collecting the Direct Debit Payment amount every month as an automatic monthly renewal of membership, the Renewal Direct Debit Payment Amount. Your membership will be extended by one month each payment. Each payment made is not refundable under any circumstances. This Renewal Direct Debit Payment Amount may only be amended if we advise you in writing giving 14 days notice. For further clarification, the Renewal Period is that time after completing the minimum number of payments as stated on the Membership Form.
- During this Renewal Period, you can cancel your membership by giving notice of one month (representing one further Direct Debit Payments), by emailing email@example.com or writing to Membership Cancellations, Chadderton Wellbeing Centre, Burnley Street, Chadderton, OL9 0JW or by completing a Cancellation Request form – available at all OCL Gyms.
- Active + membership includes access to s single facilities identified as a ‘Home club.’ Home clubs cannot be transferred without prior permission from OCL. Premium Membership includes attendance at all OCL centre’s. memberships cards or Bands are non transferable and are for sole use of person identified in the membership
- We may change the Centre’s opening times or withdraw any of the facilities at any time if we need them for tournaments, exhibitions or other activities, or in connection with any repair, alteration or maintenance work, or for any other reason. Where possible, we will inform you in advance of any significant or permanent changes to opening hours, programmes or access to facilities via notices on site and the website.
- Some sessions may be programmed, with restricted access to facilities. Such programming may also be subject to change. 16. No refunds will be made due to such programming changes or disruptions as noted in paragraphs 14 to 16 above.
- You agree to comply with the terms and conditions of membership and gym etiquette which are available on our website.We may make reasonable changes to these rules at any time which we will give you advanced notice of. You must also comply with the Zero Tolerance Policy as outlined in the Centre Rules.
- If we take no action or let you off any breach of this agreement or give you extra time to pay or comply, it will not stop us strictly enforcing the terms of this agreement at a future date.
- We may assign the benefits of this agreement and our rights there under to a third party on notice to you. Your rights under this agreement will not be prejudiced.
- This agreement is governed under English Law.
- We may terminate this agreement with immediate effect on notice to you if you are in breach of the centre/scheme rules. In this event you will not be liable to pay any further Direct Debit payments, provided such breach is not deemed by us to have occurred primarily in order to qualify you for termination or a refund. No pre-paid instalments or fees will be refunded on termination of this agreement.
- If you are under 18 years of age, your parent or guardian must sign this Agreement on your behalf. By signing this Agreement, your parent or guardian agrees to be responsible for your behavior and actions at all times and to pay us any amounts that are due on your behalf.
Your personal information will be held and used in accordance with the Data Protection Act 1998. Oldham Community Leisure Ltd will not
disclose such information to any unauthorised person or body, but where appropriate will use such information in carrying out its various functions
and services, including for the purpose of membership administration and to occasionally provide you with details of Oldham Community Leisure Ltd activities and offers. We will not pass your details on to third party companies for direct marketing purposes. Oldham Community Leisure Ltd may use this data in connection with the prevention or detection of fraud or other crime.
If you do not wish to receive information from ‘Oldham Community Leisure Ltd’, please let one of our membership team know when you collect your membership card.
- All users must have a valid Active membership or fast track band to enter the gym
- Appropriate and comfortable gym wear and trainers must be worn at all times
- All free weights must be carefully placed back onto the holders and racks – please do not drop onto the floor
- Please refrain from using your mobile phone while in the gym
- Wipe down equipment after use – paper towels are available
- At busy peak times, time is restricted to no longer than 20 minutes on each machine
- Please inform staff of any changes in your medical condition or medication that may effect your ability to train safely
- If you feel dizzy, short of breath or unwell at any time, stop exercising and speak to a member of the gym team or summon help via the panic alarms
- Please ask a member of the gym team to show you how to use any of the equipment if you’re unsure
- Any person/s engaging in inappropriate behaviour may be asked to end their session
- Oldham Active cannot be held responsible for the security of personal property – please look after your valuables and use the lockers provided
For ongoing enquiries in regard to your Direct Debit and your financial payments please contact Debit Finance collections PLC, 16 Davey avenue, Knowhill, Milton Keynes, MK5 8PL. Tel: 01908 422007 or email: firstname.lastname@example.org.
For all other membership queries and support please contact: 0161 207 7000 or email email@example.com
OCL now uses the digital inspections tool specially developed for leisure centres called Leisure shield to monitor Health and Safety and standards.